The History of Brittains The Furnishers

Brittains was started in 1904 by Frank Brittain when he set up his first shop in St Neots Road, Eaton Ford selling second hand cycles and furniture. In 1908 Frank was joined in the business by his brother Archie, aged just 12. Archie would help and do the paraffin delivery round using a hand truck and would also repair the cycles.

In 1940 Frank, always being a generous man, felt that a company should be formed and that the shareholders would be himself, his wife, his brother Archie and Frank's son Ron. It was at this time that Brittains got it's full name Brittains Furnishers Ltd.

After several different locations in St Neots, Brittains finally settled at their current address in 1924 and over the years have extended the shop by filling in the yard at the rear of 58-60 High Street and purchasing No 62 High Street and No's 4, 6, & 8 Church Street.
More recently Brittains purchased the Old Salvation Army building and this is currently let out and is not part of the main furniture store. Brittains warehouse is based in Eaton Socon where it houses the vast array of stock items awaiting delivery or display. Having such a large stock enables many items from the Furniture and Bed Departments to be delivered extremely quickly.

Frank and Archie were followed by their sons Ronald and James. Ronald retired in 1985. James' two sons Nigel and Adrian now run the company with James who retains the title of company chairman.

The company has seen many changes over the years but has never lost sight of its traditions and values. Brittains is still a family run company and offers exceptional value and quality and offers good old-fashioned service and standards.

Each department offers a wealth of inspiration and ideas for your home and has goods to cater for all tastes and pockets. Our staff are always on hand to offer help and advice should you require it.